Monday, March 8, 2010

Oh Alice!



I finally saw Alice In Wonderland on May 5 at midnight. We went to see it at the world famous Disney owned theater in Hollywood called 'El Capitan'.

It was so worth the extra $$ for getting VIP tickets because we had assigned seating ( so being late is ok) and free soda and popcorn in an Alice collectible tub. It was my first time there so I didn't know what to expect.

The first time we got in the theater, loud music was blasting and everyone was dancing, there was a dj on stage! Can you imagine music being played through theater speakers? The sound is just unspeakably amazing! Inside was also decorated with Alice theme and you can hear people whispering "wow "the whole time. It was such an experience! Then the next thing you know, the dj was being wheeled out and 2 hosts came on stage. They had games for people in costumes that were from the audience and they got highly collectible items like Alice dolls and a framed film cell!


Before the movie, El Capitan added a few extras to the movie, like this super crazy clock with hands turning like wack and numbers flying all over the theater's ceiling! Everyone was just in awe! And then the clock exploded in the screen and red and white confetti filled the whole theater!Then the movie started...

It was everything I've expected it would be! I love, love, love how Tim Burton did it. Mia as Alice was perfect! Oh and the dresses, let me just say I was uber crazy about them! Apparently they were made by Colleen Atwood, a multiple Oscard award winning costume designer. She also made the wardrobe for Memoirs of Geisha, Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow,Big Fish, Sweeney Todd just to name a few.

The Mad Hatter was not as mad as we expected him to be but the twist was good enough. I fell in love with Johnny Depp the first time I saw him in Edward Scissorhands and Benny & Joon. He is just an exceptional actor. A true born artist. He was perfect for the role of the Mad hatter. People even screamed when he came on the screen. I think I was one of them.

Helena's character cracked me up. Her character was just awesome. I loved how she found the 2 fat boys so cute. Her laugh there was contagious!

Anne Hathaway looked like a crack addict but I guess that was intentional.
I wish Tim Burton made the caterpillar more exciting but I guess he wanted to highlight the other characters more than the cat and the caterpillar who were really the big stars in past versions of Alice. A good twist, totally unexpected.
I would just have to see this film again... And again.
and again.

After the film, there was a make-shift museum on the theater's basement where some of the actual props from the film can be found! Like the sword, the sword box, the keys, the actual door to wonderland, the mad hatter's actual chair, the drink me bottles, the eat me cake box, the mad hatter's costume and more. I think all the props were distributed in different parts of the world. I wonder where Alice's clothes ended up!








There were more,such as the actual mad hatter's costume and other dresses.
This is now my favorite version of Alice and the 1985 version now comes in 2nd.
I just don't like how Tim Burton has made Alice such a craze that she is now a 'household name'. I kind of miss how Alice used to be so low key and only a few are obsessed with her and Alice things are so rare you don't even find Alice merchandise in Disney! Now I feel like she is as popular as Minnie Mouse and I am kind of falling out of love, as the day goes by.





2 comments:

Sweets and Hearts said...

i've never been to el capitan either! i'm so jealous that you went to see 'alice' there! ahhh. i love how everything's set up & you got lots of great pictures.

<3

Chickything said...

It was my first time there and I couldn't imagine having seen this film anywhere else. I'm so glad I saw it there because it was so much fun and the way they did it was just an unforgettable experience.